Outreach and Engagement Specialist
SPECIAL SERVICE FOR GROUPS
Title: Outreach and Engagement Specialist Division: APAIT
FLSA: Non-Exempt Supervisor: Division Director
Pay Rate: $14.42/hr. – $15.00/hr. (DOE), plus comprehensive benefits
Under the supervision of the Division Director, a strong team player and people-oriented Outreach and Engagement Specialist (O&E Specialist) will coordinate and implement strategic outreach and community engagement efforts to increase awareness of APAIT’s outpatient substance abuse treatment program for women of color in LA County. The candidate must have the ability to build and maintain rapport with community members, community planning groups, and stakeholders. Experience working with diverse ethnic and cultural communities is a must, including, but not limited to the following populations: people of color, gay/lesbian/ bisexual/ transgender/questioning community, monolingual and/or undocumented immigrants, substance users, and homeless persons, of varying ages. This is a full-time position requiring flexible hours including evenings, weekends, and some holidays.
1. Conduct outreach activities to promote services and recruit program participants.
2. Establish and maintain partnerships with Los Angeles based substance abuse treatment programs to identify and recruit potential clients.
3. Implement outreach and recruitment activities targeting cisgender women of color throughout LA County.
4. Conduct client follow-up activities to ensure that a minimum 33% of referred individuals are linked to APAIT’s outpatient substance abuse treatment program.
5. Represent and advocate on behalf of the agency and the community at related collaborations, community planning groups, social organizations, conferences, and other events as assigned.
6. Other projects as assigned to meet program and agency mission, goals and objectives.
7. Ability to work overtime and perform duties during weekends, holiday, and evenings when required.
8. Regular attendance.
Minimum Qualifications – Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
1. High school diploma or GED equivalent plus a minimum of two years’ experience in substance abuse and/or HIV/AIDS work.
2. Established relationships with Los Angeles based substance abuse treatment programs and/or facilities.
3. Ability to work with diverse communities including but not limited to multi-gender, ethnic, generation, lingual, dual or multi-diagnosed, etc.
4. Great attitude and people skills a must.
5. Must be fluent in Spanish (read, speak, and write).
6. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with strong leadership skills.
7. Good problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
8. Reliable transportation.
9. Valid California driver’s license, plus proof of current car insurance.
10. Verification of employment eligibility.
11. Passing of background check.
12. Updated tuberculosis test (annual requirement) – read, reviewed and dated by a clinician.
13. Experience and knowledge of MS Office and Outlook software.
Non-Essential Qualifications – Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Relevant community health outreach training.
2. Knowledge of behavior change interventions.
1. This position does not have formal supervisor responsibilities.
Environmental Conditions (Working Conditions)
1. Ergonomically safe office environment with desktop computer, desk, chair, natural light from windows.
2. Outreach in nightclubs and other venues that target population frequents. Must be comfortable with environmental conditions at the outreach locations, such as noise level, aggressive patrons, substance use, etc.
1. In the course of performing this job, this position typically spends time sitting, standing, walking, carrying (max.20lbs), lifting (max. 20lbs), listening, and speaking.
1. This position requires someone that can accommodate to any/all of the following: constant distractions, interruptions; uncontrollable changes in priorities/work schedules; availability for on call/duty after regular working hours; and exposure to inappropriate behavior and language of others.
Please submit cover letter and resume by e-mail to: Peter Cruz, Associate Director at email@example.com.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Special Service for Groups is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer